This course is now complete! All modules are available. Happy designing!
Have you ever wanted to know how theme developers design WordPress themes?
- Are you familiar with how themes are designed, but want to know how designers tackle block themes?
- Have you ever wanted to design a theme of your very own from scratch?
- Is the thought of writing php, theme.json, css, or html code daunting?
If so, this course is for you!
By the end of this course, you will be able to build a fully functional, custom WordPress theme using very little code.
We will explore…
- The basics of how a theme is developed from start to finish
- The role of each “classic” WordPress file as they relate to block themes (style.css, index.php, index.html)
- The basic function of theme.json
- Your first codes in theme.json
- Optional extras you can learn to include to make your theme stand out among the rest
Take this course geared toward intermediate WordPress users and beginning theme designers to learn how to build a custom block theme from scratch using the WordPress Site Editor–using only a little code.
We’ll show you how!
How do I know if this course is right for me? (If you’re not sure, click the arrow to expand)
Ask yourself the following:
1. Are you comfortable navigating the WordPress dashboard?
2. Are you comfortable installing and activating different WordPress themes?
3. Have you experimented with block themes and the Site Editor in the past?
4. Are you familiar with templates, template parts, and the Site Editor?
5. Do you know what “Global Styles” are and why they are helpful to users?
If you answered “Yes” to all those questions, take this course!
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, we would recommend taking our three courses on block themes first to get familiar with the site editing tools you will be using throughout this course.
A Note About Your Block Theme
Please note that this course is generally meant for people who want to take the first step in learning to design themes. This is a complex topic with a lot of nuance; this course will teach you the very basics of block theming and get you thinking like a theme designer for the first time.
A more advanced course geared toward developers also exists with more complex information and is linked at the end of this course.